Saturday, September 12, 2015

Review: Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)Cinder {The Lunar Chronicles #1} by Marissa Meyer
My Rating: 4 stars
Goodreads Summary: Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future


My thoughts: GUYS! I know I kinda recommend a lot of books and sometimes it can get a little overwhelming, but here me out on this one. If you have not started The Lunar Chronicles then you need to start!! Please! Do you really want me to beg because if that's what it takes then I'll do it. JUST READ IT...PLEASE...you can thank me later.

By the cover you can guess that Cinder is a fairytale retelling. I know what you're thinking...not interested. Don't worry, I thought the same thing, but this is such an original retelling with such a different, unique world and fantastic plot line.

The setting for this world is 100-something years after the Fourth World War so pretty futuristic. There are hovers instead of cars and all this cool new advanced technology. The population consists of Earthens{humans}, androids, and cyborgs. Cyborgs are kinda looked down upon and many earthens don't like them. Our main character, Cinder, is a cyborg due to an accident that happened to her at a young age. Cinder is also a mechanic and then one day Prince Kai needs his android fixed so he goes to the best mechanic around in New Beijing and their paths cross.
There's this deadly disease going around called letumosis. Cinder's stepsister suddenly gets the disease and Cinder gets blamed for it and she is then caught in a situation where she discovers things about her past.

I heard a lot of good things from this series, but I was shocked at how much I ended up liking it. I started reading it and thought it was kinda weird {in my notes i even wrote "weird book"},but as I kept reading I just couldn't stop reading!
Like I said before, the world is so unique and I love it, but I'm still working on picturing it in my head with all the cyborgs, androids, and stuff.

Cinder is such an awesome character and before I knew it, I was cheering and rooting for her. I love how determined she is! She's also HILARIOUS and makes me LOL with things she says because even in the most stressful situations, you can always count on her to make a sarcastic comment. She has now been added to my imaginary "all time favorite female characters" list.
I’m sure I’ll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on.
Cinder has an android friend, named Iko, and she has easily become my second favorite character!

The book parallels the fairy tale of  Cinderella, but it's still its own story with its own twists and turns here and there. Kind of like all those pop culture remakes of Cinderella...at least that's how I saw it, haha!

I don't think I did a good job at convincing you to read it. Just trust me on this one and read it! I wish I could mentally teleport this book into your hands, but I don't think we're that near in the future ;)

Happy Readings!


No comments:

Post a Comment