Thursday, November 27, 2014

Review: Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss (Anna and the French Kiss, #1)

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Realistic fiction, Romance
pages:372
Rating: 5/5 
Goodreads summary: click here

My thoughts: *There is some slight swearing in this book; not too much though.  I usually ignore it, but if you don't like books like that then I wouldn't recommend this book for you.*

Anna's dad ships her to an American boarding school in Paris. This seems kind of nice right, but don't be fooled, Anna does not want to go to Paris to spend her senior year at this school, leave her best friend, leave a good looking crush on the verge of becoming something more, and she doesn't want to leave her home. While in Paris, she does manage to make a group of friends. Anna becomes best friends with the beautiful Etienne St.Clair, who all the girls at school love including one of Anna's close friends and quite possibly Anna herself. Oh yeah, and he also has a serious girlfriend which means he's off limits, well at least he should be. To top it all off, there's a couple of mean girls and a jerk of a guy...drama much? 

The drama was fascinating because it just made the characters appear so real because they are in fact still in high school and this type of stuff does tend to happen in high school. Don't worry though it's not all drama, drama, drama. It's also hilarious. I can't get over how funny the dialogue is. Here's a little snippet:
...A lot of people speak gangsta, though,” I add jokingly.
“Fo’ shiz,” he replies in his polite English accent.
I spurt orangey-red soup across the table. St. Clair gives a surprised ha-HA kind of laugh, and I’m laughing, too, the painful kind like abdominal crunches. He hands me a napkin to wipe my chin. “Fo’. Shiz.” He repeats it solemnly.
If that didn't get a little smile or a giggle out of you then I don't know what will. Oh, and Etienne does have an English accent {swooning} which you can totally hear when he says something and I love that Stephanie Perkins added some British slang into this book. It kind of made me think back to Harry Potter.

I loved reading Anna's voice. I loved her sarcastic attitude and her personality, it just fit so well. I love this line of hers.
 Girl Scouts didn't teach me what to do with emotionally unstable drunk boys.

By some standards, Etienne may not be your cup of tea. I didn't think I'd be into the type of guy who has a British accent, has crooked teeth, is slightly short, and absolutely beautiful. But now, Etiene has made it to my top 5 book boyfriend list.
There's something about this book that just makes me want to fall in love and after finishing this book, I found myself in desperate need for  Lola and the Boy Next Door and Isla and the Happily Ever After so I ordered them online and I'm desperately waiting for them to arrive.

This book made me squeal and jump in the air and I'm sure it will be the same for you and it will leave you feeling all giddy inside.
It was a fun ride with these two and the ending is just the icing on the cake.

Favorite Quote: 
Because I was right. For the two of us, home isn’t a place.
           It’s a person.
         And we’re finally home.



No comments:

Post a Comment