Monday, November 17, 2014

Review: Champion {***SPOILERS***}

                                         Champion (Legend, #3)
Champion by Marie Lu
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian
Pages: 369
Rating: 5/5 stars
Goodreads summary: He is a Legend.

She is a Prodigy.

Who will be Champion?
 

June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps-Elect, while Day has been assigned a high-level military position. 

But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them: just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything. 

With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.



My thoughts:I find that most people like Legend or Prodigy more than Champion, but for me, Champion was the best in this trilogy. It was more thrilling, more action packed, and had more of an emotional roller coaster type feeling. So, to sum up my feelings for the series: I liked Legend, I enjoyed Prodigy, but I loved Champion. I probably would have liked the other two books more if it wasn't for the book hangover I had. 

Let me just take a second to talk about Marie Lu's writing style. It's basically amazing, especially her descriptive ability. She describes like everything with specific detail which makes it easier for the reader to picture it in their head more perfectly and realistically. I noticed that in June's sections, the time and setting is written. I love that because it makes things more clear for me and easier for me to picture how the scene looks in my head.Another thing, there is so much action and suspense in this book, but I never felt rushed while reading. The writing just flows nice and smooth.

Usually, when I'm reading a book from dual POV I find myself caring more for one character than the other and being intersted in one side than the other {if that makes sense}.This never happened with Champion though. I was equally interested in both Day and June's point of views and never got tired of them. I think Day and June are amazing characters and I love them sooo much!

So, if you forgot where we left off,in Prodigy,we find out Day has a tumor and therefore is going to die, which drives him to push away June, who decides to take Andens offer of Princeps-Elect. Now, 8 months later, Day is basically famous and taking care of his brother Eden while June is working as a Princeps-Elect for  the young and handsome Elector of the Republic, Anden.


Now lets talk about the characters...they're amazing. I've never felt so involved in characters' lives than in this trilogy. And not just Day and June's lives, but also the other characters.
There's Eden, who I love because he is so brave for a small age and he cares for the Republic even after being experimented on by them. Then we have Tess. I love Tess. She did get a little on the jealous side in Prodigy, but I get where she was coming from and I don't blame her. And her back story made me very, very sad. Oh, and there's Pascao, I like him just cause he brings some humor.Then there's Anden. I really like Anden and I couldn't find it in me to dislike him. He's handsome, polite, poised, not like his father, etc. He doesn't have anyone else in his life ever since his father died and it broke my heart that he really can't express his grief. I know his father was evil, but this quote made me happy. 
"My son," the late Elector answers without hesitation. His expression never softens, but the edges of his voice shift slightly. "My son will always be everything to me, because someday he will be everything to the Republic." He pauses for a second to smile at the reporter..."My son...reminds me." 

Then we have Thomas. I couldn't help myself from sympathizing for him. It was heartbreaking to hear the details of how he killed Metias even though he was in love with him and I just felt bad for him. Then when he died, I just felt kind of sad. 

One of my favorite parts of this book was when June and Anden made the trip to Antartica. That place sounded so interesting and fascinating because their technology is really advanced.I mean the people have levels and get points for things like watering a plant. It kind of reminds me of a video game, but I'm not sure I would want to live there...just visit like June did. 

 Now, the ending. I cried. I never cry in books...like ever. I just get teary eyed, but the tears never leave the eyes. In this one it was tears running down the cheeks crying. 
Most people don't like the ending. For me, it wasn't horrible, but I think there needed to be a couple more pages added in order for me to have more closure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment