Monday, August 24, 2015

Spoiler Free Review: Hollow City {Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children #2}

Hollow City (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #2)Hollow City by Ransom Riggs
Rating: 5 stars
Goodreads summary:September 3, 1940. Ten peculiar children flee an army of deadly monsters. And only one person can help them—but she’s trapped in the body of a bird. 

The extraordinary journey that began in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children continues as Jacob Portman and his newfound friends journey to London, the peculiar capital of the world. There, they hope to find a cure for their beloved headmistress, Miss Peregrine. But in this war-torn city, hideous surprises lurk around every corner. And before Jacob can deliver the peculiar children to safety, he must make an important decision about his love for Emma Bloom. Like its predecessor, this second novel in the Peculiar Children series blends thrilling fantasy with vintage photography to create a one-of-a-kind reading experience


*THERE WILL BE SPOILERS OF THE FIRST BOOK*
If you wanna check out my thought on the first book, click the link below:
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

My thoughts: Woah. Woah. Woah. I was not expecting to love this book! If you read my thoughts on Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, you'll know I kinda didn't like it. I'm not sure if it was the book or if it was because I read it during finals week...let's go with finals week because it's a pretty interesting series.

Hollow City, starts right off where the last book ended. Jacob and the peculiar gang leave their loop to travel to London in order to find help for their headmistress, Miss Peregrine. Throughout this book, Jacob and the gang argue, go through many trials, nearly die, find new friends, and even have to leave some of their own behind. It's a slow paced read, but one that I hardly noticed or minded because so much interesting stuff was happening. I did not want to put this book down!

I can't get over how amazing and cool the photographs are embedded to create such a wonderful story!! We also get to know way more about the peculiar world and how big it actually is. It's just fantastic!

One of the things I didn't like in the first book is a bunch of new characters were thrown at us. I had a hard time remembering who was who and what was each person's peculiar ability. It frustrated me quite a bit. I liked how the beginning of the book had a "Peculiar Personae" that had all the character's from the first book. I really appreciated that because I referred to it a couple of times throughout the beginning of Hollow City and it helped me memorize who was who.
There's quite a few new character's introduced into this book, but it wasn't frustrating. Instead, it felt more relaxed. Some of the few characters that we were introduced to are Joel-and-Peter. They are my favorite and I love when they talk {you'll see}!

I don't know when it happened, but my love for these characters slowly crept upon me. I was shocked at how much I cared for them. There's something I like about each character, even Enoch. But, I really like Milliard and Hugh. And can I just say Hugh and Fiona's love story...died.

Some of these characters just make me laugh. I don't even know if it's funny, but sometimes I just kinda laugh at things they say.
The medic fainted.
“Hm,” said Hugh, nudging the fallen man with his foot. “You’d think these chaps would be made of tougher stuff.”
“That could not have been less helpful to our present situation were it a story about cats on the moon.”
Now, Jacob and Emma. I know I said that their relationship was really weird and I didn't care for it, but I was wrong. I don't know when it happened, but before I knew it I just shipped them together and I didn't want them to be apart. I think Emma is such a strong character. She really took the role of leading and I really like her. Jacob's pretty cool too even though he got on my nerves sometimes. You can see how far he's gotten with accepting his peculiar abilities.

The ending was a complete shocker and it makes me more excited to read Library of Souls which is coming out super soon!!! I can't wait to see how the fate of these cool peculiar peeps turn out. Fingers crossed for none of them dying.

Ransom Riggs deserves all the applause for this sequel. And for dedicating this book to his wife Tahereh. I don't know how they can get any cuter...until it happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment